By Jerry Brotton. May be backordered or unavailable. We will update you with the status after you place your order.
Description From the author of The Sultan and the Queen , a fascinating look at twelve maps from Ancient Greece to Google Earth and how they changed our world In this masterful study, historian and cartography expert Jerry Brotton explores a dozen of history's most influential maps, from stone tablet to vibrant computer screen. For readers who might want to learn more about the people Brotton mentions in passing, references in a page section of endnotes offer other works to read.
- A History of the World in 12 Maps by Jerry Brotton | LibraryThing.
- Deep Water, Sharp Teeth.
- A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Jerry Brotton: review!
- Account Options!
- Personal Finance (The Personal Series in Finance).
- Finding Love at Midnight - Part 1: Man with the Golden Tongue;
- Event details.
Such confirmation bolsters both their pride and their power. Power, of course, costs money, and Brotton demonstrates again and again that map making has always been both a scientific and a financial enterprise.
A History of the World in Twelve Maps
He does pastoral ministry at St. Support the Independent by purchasing this title via our affliate links: Amazon. In this scintillating book, he examines the significance of 12 maps, vividly recreating the time and place in which each was made, showing what each demonstrates about the views of that time and place - whether the Jerusalem-centred Christian perspective of the 14th century Hereford Mappa Mundi or the Peters projection of the s which aimed to give due weight to the 'third world'.
He also believes that maps today are no more definitive or objective than they have ever been, but that they continue to make arguments and propositions about the world, and to recreate, shape and mediate our view of it. Orienteering event 19 June
- The Book of Valentines: Reflections on everyday Love.
- Summary: A Good Hard Kick in the Ass: Review and Analysis of Adams Book.
- Mission Gamma Book Three: Cathedral: Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).
- CARACTERÍSTICAS DO EBOOK.
- Most Popular Videos.
- Book Review: 'A History of the World in 12 Maps' by Jerry Brotton - WSJ.